It’s not always easy to detect high blood sugar, and many people may be unaware that they have it. If you are uncertain about your blood sugar levels, we are here to provide you with important information. Here are eight warning signs of high blood sugar that you should be aware of:
1. Frequent Urination and Increased Thirst:When your blood sugar is high, your kidneys try to eliminate the excess sugar by excreting it through urine. This leads to more frequent urination and increased thirst due to dehydration.
2. Fatigue:Feeling tired or fatigued is a common early sign of high blood sugar. This symptom can also occur in individuals without diabetes when they consume excessive amounts of sugar or carbohydrates.
3. Headaches:Dehydration caused by high blood sugar can trigger headaches. If you experience chronic headaches, it is important to consult a medical professional, especially if they occur along with other symptoms on this list.
4. Slow-healing Sores:High blood sugar affects your body's circulatory system, impairing blood flow and the body's healing abilities. Sores or wounds that take a long time to heal, particularly on the feet, can be a sign of high blood sugar.
5. Nausea, Vomiting, Confusion, and more:These symptoms, although different, can indicate a life-threatening condition called diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). DKA is more commonly seen in individuals with type 1 diabetes but can occur to a lesser extent in type 2 diabetes.
6. Blurred Vision:Excess sugar in the blood can affect unexpected areas of the body, such as the eyes. It can cause temporary blurred vision due to the accumulation of sugar in the lens.
7. Recurring Infections:Consistent high blood sugar weakens the body's immune response, making it harder to fight off infections. Individuals with diabetes may experience more frequent and lingering infections, such as yeast infections and urinary tract infections.
8. Dental Issues:High blood sugar can contribute to dental problems. Excess glucose in saliva can promote the growth of harmful bacteria, leading to plaque formation, cavities, gum disease, and bad breath.
These warning signs of high blood sugar should not be ignored. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to seek medical care promptly. Remember, many people may not realize they have high blood sugar, so it is essential to be aware of these signs and take action if needed.
Are you ready to get started on the path to a healthier you? Learn more about the ChiroThin weight loss program to decide if it’s right for you! And then find a ChiroThin doctor near you to get started.